Pregnancy is a time of joy and excitement not a time for back pain. As pregnancy progresses and the baby begins to grow many changes are happening behind the scenes. The hormone relaxin is increasing allowing for the ligaments in our body to become more flexible in preparation for your babies arrival. As our baby grows and our uterus expands the weight pulls the center of gravity forward and started to place additional stresses on the joints of the low back and pelvis. These stresses can lead to back pain. The muscles of the back and pelvic area will try to stabilize the spine by becomes tight and can result in sciatic nerve compression or irritations that will lead to pain that are shooting down the legs. So far this does not sound like a bowl full of cherries but the good news is that chiropractic and acupuncture can help.
- Correcting abnormal joint mechanics that lead to joint and nerve stress, thus improving overall health and function.
- Maintaining joint function and spinal balance so the spine may adapt to the increased weight and altered posture.
- Ensuring that the joints of lower back and pelvis are moving freely to assist the birth process. Proper joint movement enhances pelvic opening.
- Educating the expectant mother on correct posture, lifting and other lifestyle factors in order to reduce spinal stress.
The benefits of chiropractic and acupuncture care during pregnancy include:
- Maintaining the pregnancy
- Controlling vomiting
- Increased likelihood of full-term delivery
- Reduction in the time of labor and delivery
- Relief of back, neck or joint pain
- Prevent a potential cesarean section or vaginal breech delivery
What about morning sickness? Try acupuncture it is very effective in reducing the symptoms of nausea during early and late pregnancy and can really improve your ability to provide your bundle of joy with the best nutrition possible during those early stages of growth and development.
*Our office is a member of the ICPA - International Chiropractic Pediatric Association
*Our office is a member of the APA - American Pregnancy Association
Please contact our office at 913-643-1771 to schedule your first appointment to see one of our amazing Chiropractic Physicians or Acupuncturists.
Providing outstanding care to the Overland Park, Lee's Summit, Leawood, Lenexa, Olathe, Blue Springs, Stillwell, Prairie Village, Shawnee Mission, Raymore, Independence, Belton and the Kansas City area.